Friday, August 14, 2015

Lesson #198: Winning!

The show season is in full swing and this season, Ariel's been doing amazing! She's placing at every show she's gone to and now all the kiddies want to ride her and take her to their show. Which means I have a somewhat slow and pokey pony some days b/c she'd rather be out in her paddock bossing around the other horses. Despite that, I have been diligent with keeping on top of my game with her and reminding her who's boss because I don't want another "incident" like the last.

We had another flat lesson just putzing around the outdoor going over canter poles and focusing on position and balance and all that fun stuff. I was also determined to not need the crop/bat, again so I was pretty serious with the mare right from the get go, about what we were doing. I admit, I am getting tired of kicking her to get us going when she's ignoring me but sometimes it has to be done.

The sitting trot was pretty good, and it's the first time in a few weeks that Sheri's taught my lesson and she commented that things are looking pretty good! I said that I was pretty determined the last several lessons and focused on the flat quite intensely. My hips are moving the way they should, now... and I'm not bouncing around as much and not leaning forward. But it still requires a conscious effort b/c it's simply easier not to do all that.

Then we get into canter and changed the trot poles into canter poles on the long side. My canter transitions continue to need a lot of work... We are still chasing her into the transition and she's counter flexing. I am SURE it's because of me... but what that is? I have yet to figure out. We do manage to get into the transition eventually but usually with really big mess up there. Then my right foot manages to fall out of the stirrup and so I decide to toss both and just ride it. Sheri asks me if I did so intentionally and I caught a smile crack when I told her that I managed to canter without stirrups a couple lessons ago! She laughed and said that it was pretty good considering I chickened out last time! hehe

Despite being a low key lesson, I found that there was both progress and some consistent struggles. I would hope that we might amp it up next lesson and I'd start doing some more technical things, really focusing on transitions or doing a few jumps to get me back into it.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun!! Sometimes those seemingly easy rides over ground poles are more productive than you might think. Also I wouldn't worry too much about "not needing" the crop - it's there so that you don't HAVE to kick her, so that she learns to respect your leg and ultimately will respond to lighter cues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Of course I say that knowing perfectly well that I constantly nag my own mare to the point that she's a bit dead to the leg now... Maybe I should be carrying a stick too !)

      Delete
    2. i actually really enjoy the flat classes! you're totally right that those lessons are the ones that seem to not make as much impact during the lesson but they show up later when you can see something different change... like cantering without stirrups! :P

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very productive lesson and super awesome that Ariel is doing super well at the shows for her riders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed! thanks :) i hope that there will be plenty of more progress b/c i love seeing progress (however small).
      that mare is a big opinionated bossy pants but when she's on her game, she's so awesome!

      Delete