Saturday, May 17, 2014

Blog Hop: Continuation School

This is the first time I've tried one of these things; I'm trying the blog hop from Viva Carlos' blog that asks the question: why do you continue to ride?

I have been riding for just under 2 years now. I took it up as an adult because I never had the opportunity as a kid. I could have stopped... considering the location of the stable is an hour each way. I currently ride twice a week (both are lessons) and it's challenging on weeknights to go up on your own when you're already tired. But, I keep going because it allows me to let go of everything that brings me down. Yes, I don't always have a shining lesson and I get frustrated, but I realize that all these things are under my control and I always have the chance to learn and improve.

As well, the change of scenery in every way imaginable is such a huge factor of what keeps me going. I work in an office with little to no autonomy some days and lately, I've been having more crappy than good days. So, when I get up there, the scenery of the country, the air, the animals that don't lie to you or keep a sneaky agenda are all around. Everything is (in a way) pure and un-adulterated by humans.

I sound a little cynical but riding has helped me get on with the cynicism that I have to face on a frequent basis... it helps me refocus and see the forest for the trees. I'm reminded about how complex yet simple nature can be... how fair animals and nature, are--you get back what you put in. I have the opportunity to spend a lot of alone time to reflect or just be. All this aids in redirecting my frustrations and actually helps me apply skills learned in riding (not so much how to canter... but more like learning to change perspective etc) to other areas.

Even when I'm wiped, I still find the time I spend doing this to be very refreshing and helpful with getting me refocused.

No comments:

Post a Comment