Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've likely seen the visually enchanting trailers for this book turned movie, directed by Tim Burton. The premise of the book is based on the author piecing together a story with the help of a collection of eerie vintage photos that might have been double or triple exposed... or are in fact real images of peculiar children with peculiar abilities.

The book is geared towards a youth audience, with a (logically) teenage protagonist. Jake's life is a sort of perpetual limbo from his birth with all the wealth he'd ever need and no need to do anything but eventually "take over the family business": he's a trust fund baby. But he's bored. He sees his parents and their dull pointless lives and is unhappy and helpless to accept his. That is, until something happened to change everything. I guess everyone can relate to the mundanity of daily life with going to work, interacting with your family and friends in a very normal fashion all the while without real direction, purpose or any idea about what to do with yourself. Adults generally are busy adulting or raising their kids so I don't think they get lost in the same thoughts of boredom as Jake.

The thing is, as an adult who's not currently doing any adulting, I should naturally fall right into the book's story and be excited. I read with determined vigour searching for the hook in the book that would pull me in and sell me on getting the other two books of the series. I think that the years of adulting have left me with little imagination or interest to go off on a fictional journey. I think it's a good read for the target audience because I do believe that there are plenty of kids these days who lead rather dull existences and want to discover that they're special and go on an exciting and risky adventure. I can't speak for the movie as I didn't watch it but as with all movies from books, better to read the book before watching the movie just because the original is always better!


Without giving more of it away, I would say the book is worthy to be picked up by a youth audience and would be a good read for them without getting into subjects that are way over their heads (like adulting). It's a good coming of age story about a boy that many could relate to and see a part of themselves in him and go on an exciting journey to seek out their place in this world.

2 comments:

  1. We read this for my Book Club and felt sort of underwhelmed. With such a great premise of those weird photos, we were hopeful it would be a little stranger. But I agree, I think a younger audience will like it, and I feel like it's great Tim Burton material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the perfect word to describe how i felt, underwhelmed! and tim burton is going to make it amazing, visually!

      Delete