Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring's Sprung!

How was your weekend? Did you get the chance to head out, today? I live in Toronto and Sunday's weather was a great introduction to our long-awaited spring! It finally felt like I could bring out my spring jacket and shed my Canada Goose parka. And, with this much improved weather, it's only natural for me to start thinking about the garden and all it's glorious garden-y goodness.

The past 2 years I've had 4 boxes to work with on the south side of the backyard and we've been growing kale, swiss chard, chinese chives, tomatoes and carrots. Some vegetables have been more successful than others but I did some research about rotating the different crops and based on the veggies I planted, the next best thing to plant into the soil are beans and peas.

Beans and peas can be planted directly into the ground but since the ground's not ready, I started some of the other seedlings that I plan on putting out there this season:

Seedlings warm and cozy in the mini green-house

My make-shift seedling box :)

I feel like vegetable gardening should cost minimally or there isn't really a point... It doesn't make sense to pay more for a tomato that you grew in the garden than picking one up from the grocery store, right? I'm all about local and sustainable but like anyone else, I've got a budget and I make compromises. Seedlings typically cost $1-5 and a packet of seeds costs around $2 with several dozens of seeds. You do the math. So, needless to say, I didn't feel like paying for coconut coir pots and thought to make the seedling pots with toilet paper rolls and a round tofu container. I prepared potting soil and filled the half toilet paper rolls and then planted as usual with a good misting over the top. Now, just wait.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. isn't it! my brother thought that idea up a few years ago and i just remembered that he did it :D

      Delete